Spending money isn’t a bad thing. As long as you’re spending it to further your goals, have fun within reason and you’re spending it in smart ways. Here are our favorite posts revolving around the topics of spending smarter.
If you want to read all of our posts on this topic, check out the spending smarter archives pages.
Let’s start with some of my favorite ways to spend smarter. These ideas, products or services can save you money.
- Find Extra Money By Spending Smarter – It Helped Us Pay Off $80,000 Of Debt
- 125 Money Saving Tips From Personal Finance Experts
- The Top 10 Money Mistakes To Avoid In Your 20s And 30s
- Our Travel Tips And Adventures Including Tips To Travel For Free
- I Can’t Believe I Missed Easy Savings With Ebates – My Review
- It’s Officially Time – Save Money with a New Cell Phone Plan
- Our Walmart Grocery Pickup Review Plus $10 Off $50 Coupon Code
- Nectar Mattress Review – Is Buying A Mattress Online A Good Idea?
- The Best Place To Buy Tires And Get Deals Isn’t Where You Think
- 3 Ways To Get A Price Drop Refund After You Purchase An Item
- Should You Use Budget Billing For Your Utilities?
- Financing Furniture At 0% Is For Suckers
- Get Rich By Following Just One Stupidly Simple Rule
- 5 Simple Financial Concepts Will Change Your Life Forever
- 3 Keys To Prepare Now – Take Advantage In The Next Recession
- Big Life Changes Ahead? Stress Test Your Finances First!
- Is Personal Capital Safe To Use To Monitor Your Spending?
- This 60 Second Trick Will Save You Money Before Checking Out
These free downloadable resources can help you manage your money better.
- Free Budgeting Worksheet Printable To Help You Learn How To Budget
- Free Bill Payment Tracker + Six Other Ways to Avoid Late Payments
Budgeting is one of the keys to spending smarter for many people. It helps you make conscious decisions about where to spend your money, including spending money on fun.
- 257 Budget Categories To Help You Think Of Every Expense
- This Money Hack Will Help You Stop Living Paycheck To Paycheck
- Start Budgeting By Learning Your Income And Expenses
- Do You Have An Emergency Bare Bones Budget Plan?
- You Don’t Need A Budget – Instead Do These 7 Things
- How To Split Expenses with Roommates, Spouses and Family
- 5 Reasons We Don’t Keep Separate Finances After Marriage
- Looking At Your Income And Expenses In A New Way
- 9 Ways To Cut $100 From Your Monthly Budget
- The Most Popular Budget And Why It Sucks
- How To Save Money While Living Paycheck to Paycheck
- Here’s How Anyone Can Live On Half Of Their Income Or Less
- How We Set Up My Girlfriend’s Budget
Buying a home is one of the biggest purchases in your life. If you rent, it’s likely your largest monthly expense. Here are posts about your biggest monthly expense.
- Surprise Costs Of Building A Brand New Home
- 5 Stupid Things People Always Complain About When Buying A House
- Want to Buy a House? First Do This One Year in Advance
- Is Tiny Living A Faster Way To Reach Financial Independence?
- 5 Financial Mistakes On House Hunters That Drive Me Insane
- Quit Moving Every Couple Years – You’ll Save Thousands
- How I Bought A House On A Whim and Why You Shouldn’t
- The Benefits Of Apartment Living We’re Excited About
- 5 Affordable Home Makeover Project Ideas
- Are Homeowners Associations Good Or Bad? It Depends!
- Should You Buy Or Rent A Home? This Secret Will Help You Decide
- Watch Out! 8 Hidden Costs Of Moving To A New Neighborhood
- Big Dollar Shockers – Home Maintenance and Upgrades
- Resist The Urge To Upgrade Furnishings In Your New Home
Behind your housing payment, your car expenses are likely one of your largest budget categories. Here are a few articles discussing the topic in depth.
- How Much Car Can I Afford? The Answer Isn’t What You Think
- Save Thousands Using These Tricks When Buying A New Car
- Is Buying A New Honda Odyssey Cheaper Than Buying Used?
- Why I Bought a New Car
- When Does It Make Sense To Drop Collision and Comprehensive Car Insurance?
- You Should Always Compare Car Insurance Rates Every Renewal Period
- Business Mileage Reimbursement – Do You Really Make Money?
Vacations are one of the most fun budget categories to spend money in. Here are a few tips to make the most of your vacation money.
- 5 Clever Ways To Save Money on a Summer Vacation
- One Small Vacation Change Can Save You Big Money
- Cheaper Alternatives To Boarding Pets While You’re Away From Home
- How Much Do You Spend On Vacations?
- 11 Hidden Costs On Carnival Cruises For New Cruisers
- How To Get Free Parking At Disney World And Why We Didn’t
- 10 Ways We’re Saving Money On Our Disney World Vacation
- A Cheap Weekend Beach Getaway With A Free Resort Hotel
- Travel Insurance Worth It? My Experience Says No – Here’s Why
- Would You Give Up Vacations Forever To Retire Earlier?
- Are Staycations Really That Cool?
Grocery shopping provides a huge opportunity to save money. Here are some of our favorite tips.
- 15 Money Saving Tips For Grocery Shopping On A Budget
- How To Slash Your Food Bill And Eat Better Than Ever
- Could You Eat On $125 Or Less Per Month? This Guy Did!
- Quit Wasting Food and Money by Making Two Easy Lists
- Store Brands vs Name Brands – Can You Tell The Difference?
It’s easy to go out to eat rather than cook at home. Here are some great ways to save while dining out.
- 23 Ways To Spend Less Money Eating Out At Restaurants
- Do You Tip For Take Out Meals?
- A Rant About How Tipping Has Gotten Out Of Control
- How Much Should You Tip At Sit Down Restaurants?
Cutting the cable cord can save you money, but I love having cable. Here are our posts around the subject.
- Save Hundreds On Your Cable Bill With These Simple Tricks
- How I Got Faster, Cheaper Internet Service by Rearranging My Furniture
Credit card rewards are a great way to spend smarter, as long as you always pay your balance off in full and never pay interest. Here are some great articles about the topic.
- Are Credit Card Rewards Programs Worth It?
- How I Get Black Friday Prices Early With Citi Price Rewind
- Don’t Be Fooled! Watch Out For These 5 Credit Card Rewards Tricks!
- How My Credit Card Saved Me Over $250
- Your Credit Card Could Replace Your Broken Cell Phone For Free
- Why I Use Credit Cards Instead of Cash
- 4 Rewards Gotchas Credit Card Companies Don’t Want You To Know
Christmas and the holiday season can be a huge expense for families. Here are some tips to pay for the holidays without going into debt.
- 10 Simple Steps To Survive The Holiday Season On A Budget
- Save Your Christmas Decoration Shopping for After Christmas
- Have You Started Saving or Shopping For Christmas Yet?
- 5 Inexpensive Gift Ideas for Friends and Family
- Are All Energy Efficient LED Christmas Lights A Scam?
- 5 Free Fun Activities For Families During The Holidays
- How Much Do You Spend On Halloween? Here’s How To Save
Weddings are a huge one time expense. Thankfully, my wife and I were able to have an awesome wedding on a budget. Here are a few of our tips.
- How We Saved Thousands on Our Wedding Photographer
- Saving Money On Weddings: If It Sounds Too Good To Be True…
- Finding a Frugal Venue for Wedding Ceremonies and Receptions
Personal finance and spending smarter isn’t black and white. Here are a few posts that help explore decisions you’ll have to make for yourself.
- Things Or Experiences? Which Is A Better Use Of Your Money?
- How Frugal Is Too Frugal? Where Do You Draw The Line?
- 7 Ways to be Frugal Without Being Cheap
- What Temperature Do You Keep Your Thermostat At?
- Should You Celebrate Reaching Financial Milestones?
- You Should Tip Doctors, Lawyers And Accountants, Too!
And finally, here are the rest of our spending smarter posts we feel didn’t fit in within the above categories.
- 6 Ways You’re Wasting Money Without Thinking And How To Fix Them
- 4 Times When Cheapest Isn’t Always The Best Deal
- 3 Questions You MUST Ask Yourself Before Buying Anything
- 6 Fun Free or Cheap Family Activities To Do This Summer
- Is Being Brand Loyal A Good Idea? You Might Be Surprised!
- Hate Buying Used? Save Hundreds Buying New Items
- 7 Reasons You Should Pay Your Bills As Soon As They Arrive
- Americans Are Broke – Here’s How You Can Avoid The Same Fate
- Want More Time? A Secret Alternative To The Full Time Job
- Why You Should Ask Everyone For A Discount
- Following Routine Maintenance Schedules Can Save You Thousands
- America’s Biggest Money Wasters – We Got A Storage Unit
- How Living In The Caribbean Taught Me About Frugality
- 5 Simple And Cheap Ways To Surprise Your Significant Other
- Americans Think You Need How Much Money To Get By?!?
- Big Ticket Household Items You Shouldn’t Cheap Out On
- Watch Out For These Retailer Tricks When Furniture Shopping
- Bartering Goods and Services Can Save You Money
- Is That A Sale Or A Scam? Find Out How To Tell The Difference
- How To Get Brand New Clothes For Virtually Nothing At JCPenney
- When Will We Learn Enough Is Better Than Wanting More?
- Are Used Clothes Disgusting Or A Great Way To Save Money?
- Don’t Buy Cheap Items When You Can Buy Items For Life
- Did You Buy Any Of These 4 Things People Buy But Never Use?
- My Money Weaknesses – What Are Yours?
- 5 Things I Don’t Waste Money On
- Frugal Gilbert Gottfried vs. Extravagant Alan Thicke
- How Theme Parks and Movie Theaters “Price Gouge” for Food
- Why Redbox Isn’t As Cheap As You Think
- Buying a Dryer – Consider Clearance and Open Box Items
- Get Banks to Waive Your Fees