Welcome to the second edition of “What Would You Do?”! If you have a question and would like to know what others would do please contact me and I’ll keep it in mind for future editions of “What Would You Do?”. In the first edition I asked Should I Buy a Smartphone… and I ended up getting it! This week I have a new potential want so let’s get to right to it!
Neat Desktop/Mobile Scanner and Digital Filing System
I’ll admit this want is due to advertising on TV. If I didn’t watch TV I never would have seen this product and as such I wouldn’t be writing this post. However, I am aware of it now and it seems very cool and useful. If you aren’t familiar with these products here is a link to the NeatDesk Desktop Scanner and Digital Filing System and here is a link to the NeatReceipts Mobile Scanner and Digital Filing System.
So why do I want this product? Let’s first look into the pros and cons of having either of these versus sticking with what I have now which is just a regular flatbed scanner. I’ll then compare the biggest feature differences between the NeatDesk and NeatReceipts scanners.
Pros of the Neat Desktop/Mobile Scanner vs My Current Flatbed Scanner
- We currently don’t scan our receipts because our flat bed scanner is a pain and takes forever.
- Over time it seems most receipts fade and this presents a huge problem for tax audits and any other times we need to reference receipts in the future. If you can’t read your receipts what is the point of keeping them!
- I can get rid of most of my paper receipts. I would have to make sure that I made frequent back up copies of my directories but it would save a lot of space. Right now we have ugly file boxes that take up a lot of room and we can consolidate all of this onto a CD or DVD.
- I won’t have to buy a file cabinet because we’ll be able to significantly downsize the amount of paperwork we keep.
- It would be a business expense because I would use it to keep track of all of my business receipts and invoices.
- The NeatDesk Scanner scans much faster than my flatbed scanner and the Neat Scanner has a more friendly feed mechanism.
- The Neat Filing System automatically pulls data off of scanned documents into designated fields saving me time. This information becomes searchable so hopefully I wouldn’t have to dig through a ton of digital receipts to find the right one.
Cons of the Neat Desktop/Mobile Scanner vs My Current Flatbed Scanner
- There are still many items I would not feel comfortable throwing away. We’d want to keep our house paperwork as well as some of the receipts and invoices from some of our larger purchased items.
- I already have a scanner that works. It just takes much much longer to scan multiple documents.
- The cost. The NeatDesk Scanner normally costs between $350 and $400 on Amazon.com and the NeatReceipts Scanner costs between $150 and $200 on Amazon.com.
- The scanners aren’t perfect and have some valid criticism in the reviews. I might get slightly frustrated without the sheet guide but I think most of my documents will be pretty standard sized.
NeatDesk Desktop Scanner vs NeatReceipts Mobile Scanner
- The NeatDesk Scanner would require a permanent place on my already crowded desk while the NeatReceipts scanner can easily be put away like my current flatbed scanner.
- You have to feed the NeatReceipts scanner one page at a time while you can load multiple pages in the NeatDesk scanner.
- The NeatDesk Scanner has an automatic document feeder and wouldn’t have to be hand fed so it can scan documents faster. However, sometimes the NeatDesk scanner will pull multiple pages at once or jam. The automatic document feeder would greatly help the initial scanning process but after that I’d hope to scan information on a more regular basis in smaller batches.
- The price of the NeatReceipts Scanner is $220 cheaper. Major plus here.
- The scan rate on the NeatReceipts Scanner is “3-4 receipts per minute” while the NeatDesk Scanner scans “up to 24 sheets per minute”. I’ve looked around the web and these seem like accurate scan times.